What is Smart Commute?
Smart Commute is a program of Metrolinx and the municipalities in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area. We help employers and commuters, like you, explore different commute choices like carpooling, cycling and transit. Our goal is to ease gridlock, improve air quality and reduce greenhouse gas emissions while making your commute less expensive and more enjoyable.
Smart Commute offers a wide array of services to make commuting easier in the GTHA.
- Carpooling and vanpooling: exclusive ridematching programs for employers
- Site assessments and surveys to understand employee commute behaviour
- Shuttle programs
- Emergency Ride home programs
- Employee work arrangement solutions: telework, compressed work weeks and flex hours, workshops, lunch-and-learns and seminars
- Incentives and promotions
- Clean Air Commute and other fun events
In just five years, Carpool Zone users have saved over ten million dollars and prevented 24,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions; the equivalent of about 9 million bricks. Calculate your own savings here.
The Smart Commute Initiative operated from May 2004 to March 2007 as a partnership of the towns, cities and regions of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, with partial funding from Transport Canada and private sector partners. Smart Commute became a program of Metrolinx, with the support of local municipalities, on January 1, 2008. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
Visit the "Your Smart Commute" section of this site for more information.
Smart Commute Impact
As of March 31, 2013:
Q4 Report will be posted soon